Please!!! I encourage anyone who follows me or sees this to sign this petition. My city is under a lot of distress right now for this wrongful doing. Here is the link to sign the petition… https://petitions.whitehouse.gov/petition/mike-brown-law-requires-all-state-county-and-local-police-wear-camera/8tlS5czf
see this makes more sense, change.org wouldn’t do shit but here the government HAS to look at it
A sample of tweets on #Ferguson tonight, 8/13/14
And this is exactly what I hate the most in report after report about the Mike Brown Case- that there must always be caveats on our humanity as black people. It can never be that in his black body he had just as much right to live as a white person, that his life and humanity mattered and must be respected. No, as black people we always have to try and justify our worth to the world, even after we’ve been murdered in cold blood. The fact that we are human is never enough for people to have sympathy for us in our loss, and it’s disgusting. Did you hear people talking about the white kids shot in Columbine as being “quiet,” “respectful” what have you in order for us to care? It shouldn’t matter that Mike Brown was “quiet,” it shouldn’t matter that he was “respectful” (such a loaded term in and of itself) for his public execution in front of his community to be both illegal and immoral. Black life should matter regardless and headlines like this CBS news article just work to perpetuate respectability politics, antiblackness and the denigration of black life in this country and across the world.
For anyone who doesn’t know who Michael Brown is or what’s been going on in Ferguson
- Saturday Aug. 9, 2014: Reports out of Ferguson, MO. that a 17 y/o boy was shot 10 times by police over stolen candy
- He is identified as 18 y/o Michael Brown. The store Mike Brown allegedly stole candy from did not report any theft. Reports then claim that Brown was unarmed and shot 10 times for jaywalking.
- Mike Brown’s body was left lying in the street uncovered for 4 hours. His body was then placed into an unidentified black SUV.
- His mother said she was not allowed to ID her son’s body.
- Community members take to the streets (x). Flowers are spread where Mike Brown’s body laid (x).
- Protests begin. “No justice, no peace" chants are turned into "Kill the police" by media. Police respond to the unarmed crowd withdogs, shotguns, and this shit
- On the morning of Sunday Aug. 10, 2014, a crowd of peoplecontinued protesting, gathering at the Ferguson police station
- After a press conference, reports claim that there was a “struggle over the officer’s weapon" and that Mike Brown assaulted the officer who shot him. However, witnesses say that’s not what happened.. and they all have the same story (x) (x) (x)
- On the night of Aug. 10: Police blocked off streets (x), brought out the dogs (again), rifles, tear gas, gas masks, riot gear (x), tanks, and yelled “bring it on you fucking animals" at the crowd of protestors. They also did not hesitate to pull a woman who is 6 months pregnant out of a car, have her lay face down, and point their weapons at her
- Reports of looting and vandalism grab the media’s attention
- More pictures/footage from that night: (x) (x) (x)
- Protests continued into the morning of Monday Aug. 11: (x)demands of the protestors
- The night of Aug. 11: (x) Tear gas (x) (x), (x) (x) (x) (x) Gas masks, (x)
- Later that night: More tear gas (x) (x) (x) (x) lots of tear gas, seriously look at all this tear gas, riot gear, rifles, m16s, wooden pellets (x) (x), people shouting “hands up, don’t shoot!” and still shot with rubber bullets, (x) (x)
- Police tell people to return to their homes, returning home still isn’t good enough apparently. Police continue to shoot rubber bulletsand tear gas at people who have returned home (x)
- Police shoot tear gas at media and threaten to arrest them if they don’t leave (x)
- Police think their lives are in jeopardy
- Oh yeah, the officer who killed Mike Brown is on paid administrative leave
- OH YEAH, the police declined to talk to Dorian Johnson, witnessof his friend Mike Brown’s murder. But you can read Johnson’s description of what happened here (x)
- But the Ferguson Police Department said they would release the name of the officer who killed Mike Brown………. Just kidding! (x) His safety is important (x) (x) But….
- Tuesday Aug. 12: Police ban the media from the area. Ferguson declared a no fly zone (x) (x)
- Protesting continues
- Protesting rules (x)
- "Hands up, Don’t shoot!" (x) (x)
- “Who do you serve? Who do you protect?”
- Neighborhood cleanup organized (x)
- Ferguson police officer drives around QuikTrip and harasses those who are working to clean up the mess
- Mugshots of looters to be released. Officer who killed Mike Brown is still nameless.
- On the night of Aug. 12: Reports of a drive by shooting injuring at least one woman. Reports of another shooting by police, charges filed against victim .
- Protesting continues into the night, police tell protestors to get out of the streets and they respond by getting on their knees and shouting “hands up, don’t shoot!” (x)
- MORE tear gas seriously look at this shit. A witness describes the use of tear gas on the community. So much tear gas
- Mike Brown was killed on Aug. 9, as of Aug 12. none of this is being televised. Most news outlets are reporting lies (x). Several stations covered the one night of riots and looting but that’s about it. However, most news outlets are still banned from the area. The area has also become more violent since media has been banned.
- “POLICE ARE USING FORCE TO SUPPRESS OUTRAGE AT POLICE USING EXCESSIVE FORCE" (x)
- Hurt feelings *rolls eyes*
- Wednesday Aug. 13: Reports that there is NO dash cam video of the shooting of Mike Brown….. BUT
- Police are still arguing that Mike Brown injured the officer who shot him
- FERGUSON POLICE DEPARTMENT SAYS “JUSTICE IS NOT HERE RIGHT NOW”
- Police still haven’t released the name of the officer who shot Mike Brown. They also will not release full autopsy of Mike Brown (yet).
- Officer who murdered Mike Brown now has an attorney. Mike Brown’s body has been released to his family. (x)
- Mike Brown was murdered on Aug. 9. On Aug. 13 police say they will interview witness to murder
- "Race relations are a top priority" -Police chief
- State senator wants to know if she’ll be gassed again for peaceful protest
- The Department of Justice has opened a civil rights investigation into the murder of Mike Brown (x) (x) (x) (x)
- "Sit down for Mike Brown" (x)
- Streets are blocked off again (x) (x)
- SWAT team overlooks protests and has weapons drawn (x) Now asking protestors to leave (x) (x)
- Police don’t like peaceful protests (x) (x) (x) (x) (x) (x) (x)
- "Justice for Mike Brown" (x)
Edit: I’ll do my best to keep this updated. If there’s anything I missed or anything that is incorrect please let me know and I’ll change it or add it
Michael Brown was an 18 year old that was killed by a Ferguson Police Officer on Saturday, August 9th. His family is now seeking justice for Michael’s death. Their pursuit for justice will be lengthy and hard but with the support of the community they will get justice. If you are willing to support Michael’s family please donate to Michael Brown’s Memorial Fund. These funds will assist his family with costs that they will acquire as they seek justice on Michael’s behalf. All funds will be given to the Michael Brown family. We appreciate your support.
H* Special: Mike Brown and Ferguson
Follow us on:
This is a really great podcast that a friend suggested to me, and I highly recommend everyone follows it, but this episode is obviously of huge importance right now. Please, please listen to it if you can at work or home.
If there was ever a time to NOT be using “poc” it’s now. Do not generalize. Do not say “what poc are going through!”. It’s black people. What BLACK PEOPLE are going through. It’s not generalized racism, it’s anti-black racism and this is a time to be direct and listen to /black/ people and talk about black people.